These are my ultimate FAVOURITE muffin! So moist & tender with some crunch on the top and exploding with fresh berries! They’re low fat, vegan, refined sugar free and made with whole wheat flour. I usually have a hard time not eating six at once, but these are so guilt-free, I hardly have to limit myself.
With our two cast iron pans, I can bake these in the toaster oven which makes them super RV or tiny kitchen friendly. I up the temp to 375 and bake about 5 minutes longer in the toaster oven.
I’ve shared these with several friends and they always ask for more (or the recipe)! They are quite simple to make, so what are you waiting for?
Big Berry Muffins (Whole Wheat, Vegan) by Julie Morris
• 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (or sub for gluten-free flour)
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp sea salt
• 1/2 cup cashew milk (or nut milk of choice)
• 1/2 cup applesauce
• 1/3 cup maple syrup
• 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
• 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
• 1 1/2 cups mixed fresh berries
• 1 tbsp coconut sugar
• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
• Line a 12-cup muffin tin with liners, or lightly grease each cup with coconut oil (I use two 6-cup cast iron muffin pans from Lodge greased with coconut oil)
• Stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt in a large bowl
• In a smaller bowl, whisk the nut milk, applesauce, maple syrup, coconut oil & lemon zest together
• Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together until just combined. The batter will be lumpy, but resist over-mixing, as it will cause the muffins to be dense
• Gently fold in the berries, then spoon the batter equally into the 12 prepared muffin cups
• Sprinkle each muffin top with a dusting of coconut sugar
• Bake the muffins for about 25-30 minutes, or until the tops begin to turn golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into a muffin
• Let cool a few minutes before serving