I used to think I had a decent chicken noodle soup recipe under my belt, but the broth was always on the weak side and there was nothing special about it.
With a few soup secrets from a friend of mine and broth tips from author and chef Julie Morris, I now truly do have an awesome chicken noodle soup to whip out any time we need a comforting meal.
I apologize for my photos that are missing the green pops of parsley! I had to use dried this time.
Secret Chicken Noodle Soup (Regular or Instant Pot)
To Make The Broth:
• 1 tb olive oil
• 2 onions
• 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
• 3 medium carrots, quartered
• 3 celery stalks, quartered
• 1 garlic clove, halved
• 1 lb chicken breasts
• 1 tbsp maca powder (optional)
• salt & pepper
• water (or store-bought broth if you want to take it up a notch further)
1. Slice the onions in half and remove only the outermost papery skin. Slice each half into quarters while keeping the half together as a unit.
2. Add the olive oil to a large pot over medium heat (or instant pot on saute high setting). Place the onion halves in, cut sides down and sear for a good ten minutes.
3. Deglaze the pot with the vinegar, stirring quickly and scraping up the brown bits from the bottom.
4. Add the carrots, celery, garlic, chicken & maca and season generously with salt & pepper.
5. Fill the pot with water and boil for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally (or pressure cook for 20 min. or longer if you want a stronger broth).
6. Strain out the vegetables and discard or repurpose them. Shred the chicken.
7. Set the broth aside or refrigerate or freeze for another day.
To Make The Soup:
• 1 onion, diced
• 4 medium carrots, chopped
• 3 celery stalks, chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 lb chicken breasts, cooked & shredded (from previous step)
• 1 qt chicken broth (homemade from previous step or storebought)
• 1 parmesan rind (optional, but it adds flavor!)
• 2 bay leaves (optional)
• 1 tbsp fresh thyme
• 8 oz extra wide egg noodles (rotini works too)
• salt & pepper
• 1/2 lemon
• small bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
• crushed red pepper, to taste
1. Add the olive oil to a soup pot over medium heat (or instant pot on saute normal setting). Add the onion, carrots & celery and saute until the onions are softened (about 10 min.).
2. Add the garlic and saute another minute.
3. Add the shredded chicken, broth, parmesan rind, bay leaves & thyme and boil for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally (or pressure cook for 20 min.).
4. Add the noodles and simmer until tender (lower the heat & add water or broth if necessary).
5. Stir in the parsley, juice the lemon, season with crushed red pepper, salt & pepper.
6. Remove the parmesan rind & bay leaves, taste, adjust seasonings if necessary and serve!
Notes: If you prefer to save onions, the soup is still good with only one onion in the broth step or you could sear one and dice the other, keeping the diced onion in the broth to re-use in the soup instead of removing all of the vegetables from the broth.